Discover the Complexities of Human Infection
The George Washington University’s (GW) online Master of Science in Health Sciences in Clinical Microbiology prepares you to identify and investigate human infectious diseases. You’ll also be prepared to apply for the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board Certification Exam—the preeminent global certification for medical laboratory professionals.
GW’s flexible online program combines clinical microbiology and laboratory science coursework with a hands-on microbiology practicum. In addition to infectious disease diagnosis, you will develop the knowledge and practical skills to conduct research that helps prevent the spread of infections to create healthier communities.
Build the analytical skills and clinical experience you need to enter the field of clinical microbiology in settings like diagnostic microbiology laboratories, research institutions, biotechnology firms, and more.
- Modality: Online coursework with an in-person clinical laboratory rotation
- Total credit hours: 36
- Total number of courses: 13
- Program completion: Two years (part-time)
- Residency requirement: Students are required to complete a 4-week clinical laboratory rotation in their geographic location.
The online Master’s in Clinical Microbiology program leverages distinguished faculty, innovative curriculum, and real-world experience. Upon completion, you’ll gain the comprehensive skills needed to succeed as a clinical microbiologist and be able to:
- Apply knowledge of theory and principles related to infectious disease diagnosis
- Utilize proven methods for communicating test results accurately and professionally
- Collect and store data in accordance with laboratory best practices
- Comply with laboratory safety regulations
- Evaluate patient data by referring to a solid body of knowledge of infectious agents and laboratory science
What Can You Do With an MSHS in Clinical Microbiology?
- Become eligible for the ASCP Board of Certification Technologist in Microbiology Exam
- Advance your career in an in-demand field where the number of available jobs is expected to increase 13 percent (approximately 42,700 jobs) by 2026, according to projections from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Work in settings like diagnostic microbiology laboratories, research institutions, public health laboratories, biotechnology firms, pharmaceutical companies, and government agencies
When you complete the clinical microbiology master’s program, you’ll have gained the knowledge, experience, and skills to pursue positions such as:
|JOB TITLE||2018 MEDIAN SALARY|
Clinical Microbiology Instructor
Medical/Clinical Laboratory Supervisor
Microbiology Laboratory Manager
Source: Payscale.com, March 2018
Sample Course Offerings
Advanced Clinical Parasitology and Mycology
Advanced Clinical Microbiology I
Advanced Clinical Microbiology II
Advanced Immunology and Serology
Advanced Molecular Diagnostics
Advanced Laboratory Management and Operations
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Bachelor’s degree in basic science or health science (e.g., biology, chemistry, microbiology) from a regionally accredited institution
- For international students, submit your official score of one of the following exams:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
Discover Your Future in Clinical Microbiology
To learn more about the online Master’s in Clinical Microbiology, contact an Admissions Advisor today at (844) 386-7323 or request more information.