Shape the Future of Transfusion Medicine
The George Washington University’s (GW) online Master of Science in Health Sciences in Immunohematology and Biotechnology is a non-clinical program that explores the innovative methods that are essential in transfusion medicine. Designed for students who hold national certification as a Medical Technologist (MT), Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS), a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or Blood Banking Technologist/ Specialist, this flexible online program provides the strategic leadership and practical research skills you need to lead within a laboratory setting.
As one of the few graduate programs that focuses on immunohematology, this is a unique opportunity to gain theoretical knowledge in transfusion medicine as well as molecular biology and biotechnology. You’ll also examine leadership best practices and apply management models to real-world situations, giving you the confidence to take ownership of large projects and manage day-to-day lab operations.
When you graduate with the Master’s in Immunohematology and Biotechnology, you will be prepared to advance your career in leadership positions at blood banking laboratories, donor centers, and more.
- Modality: Fully online
- Total credit hours: 35
- Total number of courses: 13
- Program completion: Two years (part-time)
- Residency requirement: No on-campus residency
The online immunohematology and biotechnology master’s program leverages distinguished faculty, innovative curriculum, and real-world experience. In GW’s cutting-edge program, you’ll learn to integrate methods of molecular biology and biotechnologies into transfusion medicine, in addition to acquiring theoretical knowledge and practical skills. When you graduate from the MSHS in Immunohematology and Biotechnology program, you’ll be prepared to:
- Apply principles of traditional and molecular laboratory procedures to perform diagnostic analyses
- Calculate results obtained from clinical and research laboratory test data
- Evaluate laboratory data to refine or develop laboratory test procedures
- Correlate laboratory and quality control data to assess patient test results
- Conduct and disseminate results of transfusion medicine studies
- Apply knowledge of immunohematology and transfusion medicine principles as they relate to disease diagnosis
- Maintain a safe laboratory work environment
- Comply with laboratory safety regulations and regulatory policies
- Apply ethical decision making to issues related to clinical laboratory practice
What Can You Do With an MSHS in Immunohematology and Biotechnology?
- Develop innovative laboratory test procedures to identify diagnostic trends in the areas of blood banking, transfusion medicine, and biotechnology.
- Work in a senior or leadership position at blood banking laboratories, donor centers, blood centers, or in transfusion medicine research
When you complete the immunohematology and biotechnology master’s program, you’ll have gained the knowledge, experience, and skills to pursue positions like:
|JOB TITLE||2018 MEDIAN SALARY|
Blood Banking Instructor
Blood Bank Supervisor
Source: Payscale.com, March 2018
|Sample Course Offerings|
Advanced Laboratory Management
Advanced Immunology and Serology
Seminar in Immunohematology
Research Ethics and Scientific Integrity
Biostatistics for Clinical and Translational Research
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- 16 credits of biology, 16 credits of chemistry, three credits of college algebra or higher at a grade of C or higher
- National certification as a Medical Technologist (MT), Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS), a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or Blood Banking Technologist/ Specialist. For international students, submit your official score of one of the following exams:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
Accelerate Your Career in Transfusion Medicine
To learn more about the online immunohematology and biotechnology master’s program, contact an Admissions Advisor today at (844) 386-7323 or request more information.